7 Tips for Writing User Stories
August 16, 2011
- Pick a format and stick to it. I prefer "As a <role> I want to <goal> so that <benefit>."
- Be sure to include acceptance tests with the story.
- Keep technology terms / phrases out; a story should define user interaction absent of technology.
- Have your customers write the stories; stories must be understandable to the customer.
- Don't be afraid to split large stories.
- Make sure each story provides something of value to the customer.
- Stories should be independent of each other.